About Us

Our congregation has been serving the Lord in St. Clair Shores since our founding in 1921. What first began with a few families has grown with God’s blessings over the years. The first structure on our current property was erected in 1954. The sanctuary followed in 1963. Our Preschool & Kindergarten was added to the original structure in the 1990’s, with the latest addition completed in 2007.

Our congregation become an independent Lutheran congregation on September 13, 2004. The following year we co-founded the United Lutheran Mission Association in order to continue our mission work.

The Lutheran Reformation began in 1517 with the posting of Dr. Martin Luther’s Ninety-Five Theses on the church door in Wittenberg, Germany. Our faith is founded on the Holy Scriptures and the three creeds of the ancient church.

Quoting from our Constitution & Bylaws, Article III Doctrinal Standard:

This congregation accepts and acknowledges all Canonical Books of the Old and New Testaments as the verbally inspired, infallible, inerrant Word of God, and the only rule and norm of faith and practice. It also acknowledges and accepts all the Symbolical Books of the Evangelical Lutheran Church contained in the Book of Concord of 1580 as a true and unadulterated statement and exposition of the Word of God.

The Book of Concord of 1580 is also known as the Lutheran Confessions. One of the Confessions is Luther’s Small Catechism. It is a very straightforward exposition on Christian teaching, written for parents to use in teaching their children. It is also highly recommended for adults.

In 1932, the Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod issued a Brief Statement to convey in a convenient form the beliefs of the Church. Redeemer is in full agreement with the Brief Statement.